Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Posted to City Manager Blog by Chad Bergo
COMMUNICATIONS AND NEWS FROM THE WEEK: 6.14.18
Meetings and Announcements:
· Our next City Council meeting and Manager Workshop will be held on Monday, June 25th, 2018. Start time for Workshop is 5:30 pm, food will be available at 4:30 pm. At the workshop we will be presenting on Rental Housing Licensing and EDA Overview.
· Join the Rush Line Project Team at Ride & Walk Event - Saturday, June 16 | 10 - 11:30 a.m.
Learn about and be part of planning for the Rush Line BRT Project at the Informational Fun Ride & Walk. The event, held rain or shine, will start and end at the Bruce Vento Trail circle, north of Frost Avenue in Maplewood along the Ramsey County Regional Railroad Authority right-of-way. Participants arriving by motor vehicle should park at the Gladstone Fire Station located at 1955 Clarence Street.
Attendees will have a chance to share their feedback on transit and trail design possibilities in the Ramsey County Regional Railroad Authority right-of-way, and visit proposed station locations at Larpenteur Avenue, Frost Avenue and Highway 36/English Street. Light refreshments will be served and kid-friendly activities are planned.
Event registration is encouraged. To register, visit www.ramseycounty.us/ridewalk.
· Annual League of Minnesota Cities Conference. The conference will be held in St. Cloud on June 20-22nd at the River’s Edge Conference Center. Mayor Slawik and Council Member Abrams will be attending. Melinda will be attending the Strengths Coaching Class June 18- 22nd; however Mike Funk, Assistant City Manager may be attending.
Also, Maplewood will be receiving the Step 5 GreenStep Cities recognition once again this year. The recognition is given to cities who measure their sustainability best management practices, and improve on at least three of those best practices from the previous year. The awards will be given out during the League of Minnesota Cities Annual Conference in St. Cloud on June 21. The award activities begin at 2:45 p.. with individual City photos, group photo at 4:30 p.m., followed by a reception, dinner, and awards program.
· July 4th Festivities
Could you please let me know if you want a City Council booth at the July 4th festivities? If you are not planning on attending or are coming for just the fireworks, we probably would not need a booth. Thanks
· Gold Line Open House Schedule
Gold Line Corridor Open House – West
July 17, 2018 from 5:00-7:00 pm
Grace Lutheran Church: 1730 Old Hudson R, St. Paul, MN
Google Map Link to location: https://goo.gl/maps/yL9SRf735eS2
Gold Line Corridor Open House – East
July 18, 2018 from 5:00-7:00 pm
Guardian Angels Catholic Church: 8260 4th St. N, Oakdale, MN
Google Map link to location: https://goo.gl/maps/P6maQy59TJ92
Updates from Staff and Council
Rush Line Project
I have been fielding a few calls from residents along the Vento Trail. They have been calling to voice their opposition to this project. I have let them know about the event on Saturday. As you know, I will be out of the office next week, so if you have concerns about the project or want to refer a resident to someone, that should be Steve Love next week. Thanks, Melinda
News on the Rush Line BRT- more info on this event.
Apartment Project goes before Planning Commission on June 19th.
Jim Kellison, on behalf of CV2-INH, is seeking approval to build a 152-unit market-rate apartment building on 5.6 acres of vacant land north of Costco. The property is located at 2988 Country View Drive. To move forward, the applicant is requesting city approval for a planned unit development, public vacation, lot combination and design review. This site is part of the Mogren Retail Addition Planned Unit Development, which was approved in 2006 and redeveloped the former Country View Golf Course.
PARKS AND RECREATION
Here is a list of the upcoming season of Park Events
1) Parks Special Events in place of WOW due to construction at Wakefield,6pm – 7:30pm
· July 18 – Touch a Truck at MCC/YMCA
· August 22 –End of Summer Celebration/ KID CITY Laugh In at Edgerton
2) 4th of July at Hazelwood, 5pm – 10pm
3) Movie Nights at Bruentrup Farm, 5:30pm – 8:30pm
· June 26
· August 14
4) Community Event at Gladstone Savanna, 6pm – 7:30pm
· August 2
5) Rec Run 5K at MCC/YMCA, 9am – 11:30am
· September 29
6) Fall Music in the Barn at Bruentrup Farm, 5:30pm – 9pm
· September 7
7) Halloween Event at Bruentrup Farm, 1pm – 3pm
· October 27
Maplewood Business Council
The next Maplewood Business Council is scheduled for Thursday, June 28 from 7:30 - 8:30 a.m. This event will be held at the Maplewood Community Center and will focus on the future of the City’s North End. The North End of Maplewood is home to Maplewood Mall and St. John’s Hospital as well as two future mass transit stations serving the proposed Rush Line. With the changing nature of retail and the healthcare industry becoming more important every day, we know this part of the city will change. To foster this change, the city will be developing a vision plan for this area that will also incorporate the transit stations. This Business Council meeting will have representatives from Ramsey County to talk about Rush Line and from Perkins Will to talk about the big picture findings there are putting together as part of the market study they have been commissioned to conduct.
If you are interested in attending, please register by clicking on the link below:
The FYI was a bit brief this week. Part of that is due to summer vacations and other activities. Mike Funk will be doing the FYI next week. Please call or email if you have any questions or concerns.
Posted to Council Account by Chad Bergo